Underwood & Co has built a proud reputation over nearly two centuries for its advice and assistance to a variety of businesses – but we are also known for our outstanding work with numerous private clients.
We understand that there are many areas of the law that apply to people in a purely personal capacity, and have extensive experience in these fields.
Arguably the most important legal consideration for any family or individual is the creation of a will. We work with many clients who want our advice and assistance in drafting, reviewing and amending a last will and testament.
However, there are several other areas of the law that relate to planning successfully for your lifetime, and in a way that makes sure your loved ones are taken care of when you pass on.
Estate planning is one of the largest areas of private client law. Its overarching purpose is to minimise the level of capital gains tax and inheritance tax imposed on an estate, as well as to ensure the correct distribution of assets.
The broad range of legal subjects we work on for private clients include:
- Creating and revising wills
- Estate and Inheritance Tax planning
- The establishment and restructuring of Trusts
- Trust administration and termination
- Preparing Lasting Powers of Attorney and advising on existing Enduring Powers of Attorney
- Drafting Living Wills
- Obtaining Grants of Probate
- Administering, winding up and distributing estates
- Court of Protection applications
- Will disputes
Recent Case Studies
- Long-term advisers to charitable trustees of prominent regional art gallery, and substantial grant-making trust
- Acting as executor and advising on estate of prominent literary agent with business interests, Lloyd’s underwriting account and assets of c £8 million
- Advising on estate of construction company owner with substantial assets in both UK and overseas, combined estate c £10 million
- Acting as trustees and advising on numerous trusts with investment portfolios, residential and commercial freeholds and overseas assets (including USA, Italy, Jersey), values of c £500,000 – £10 million
Underwoods was recommended to us approximately 6 years ago and has looked after our affairs since that time. We have always found them to be efficient, timely, approachable and dependable. Their advice has always been measured and sensible and they have directed us to appropriate colleagues within Underwoods, depending upon the circumstance. They are always readily available and we could not recommend anyone more highly.
It is with great pleasure that we attest to the professional service always received from Underwoods Solicitors. We have always received great service and clarification when needed, throughout many business years. We would without doubt recommend the Underwoods team.”
Art Gallery & Studio