The law as it relates to employment is highly complex – and that complexity is compounded by the fact that it is always evolving and developing.
When you run a business that employs people, there are numerous pieces of legislation that govern their employment.
Falling foul of these can lead to confrontational situations that are expensive and time-consuming, and can have a negative impact on workplace morale and the productivity of your business.
This is one of the most heavily regulated areas of the UK’s business landscape, but at Underwood & Co we give straightforward advice and practical solutions when it comes to workplace issues.
Clarity is key when it comes to working with both employers and employees to make sure that rights and rules are fully understood – and that the business in question abides by them.
We believe in being pro-active to ensure that any potential issues are identified and rectified before they reach the stage when an aggrieved employee seeks compensation. It is worth bearing in mind that there is no upper limit on the amount that can be awarded when discrimination against an employee is proved.
Our team of specialist employment law solicitors deliver valuable advice to directors, business owners and employees. Our expertise covers the full range of employment law issues, from rights and contracts to compromise agreements. We can also assist when it comes to employment tribunals, grievances and disciplinary processes.
Our approach is, wherever possible, to ensure problems are resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.
Some examples of our experience in Employment
- The firm acted for a client who let commercial real estate space, in defending employment tribunal claims brought by a former employee who resigned (which was then retracted) their employment and had brought claims of constructive dismissal, indirect disability discrimination, failure to make reasonable adjustments, and harassment against our client. A favourable settlement was reached on a commercial basis prior to the Final Hearing.
- Successfully defending a £2 million employment tribunal discrimination claim for a client in the real estate sector.
- Advising a restaurant in relation to a claim made by a former sous chef who was dismissed on performance grounds. A favourable settlement for our client was reached.
- Drafting various bespoke TUPE/ Staff transfer agreements as part of a change in service provider.
- Advising a professional services firm in relation to termination agreements for senior employees based overseas and working with local lawyers in respect of the same.